Thursday, May 2, 2013

Painting Outdoor Furniture with Chalk Paint®


With Spring in the air, I was inspired to paint a few outdoor items around the shop such as the front door, shutters and a metal bench. 



Chalk Paint® works wonderfully on outdoor items such as these as well as wicker, cement or concrete and terracotta. 



Here's how to do it:

1) Begin by sanding off any uneven finish such as chipping paint (only if necessary) and then clean the piece. No need to prime! 

2) Paint one or two coats of Chalk Paint®. Let dry in a protected area before putting it out into the elements to let the paint "cure". Chalk Paint® actually will harden over time and will weather and distress naturally. 

3) Waxing outdoor furniture is not recommended because heat could keep the wax soft and keep it from curing. (Although I did wax my door the last time I painted it and it was fine.)


Old Violet
Duck Egg

Paris Grey

Some colors that work well in a garden are Old White, Paris Grey, Country Grey, Chateau Grey, Duck Egg Blue and my favorite in the garden, Old Violet. But let your imagination go wild! 

Need help painting? Join one of my Chalk Paint® Workshops or Classes. Click HERE for more information.

To see the new front door at my shop, click HERE.


*Photos courtesy of Annie Sloan and photographed by Christopher Drake.

Happy Painting!

Rachel


Chalk Paint® and supplies are available at my two shops:
4323 Irvington Rd., Irvington, VA and 
19 S. Belmont St. (in the heart of Carytown), Richmond, VA

To see more tips, tutorials and photos: Paintbrush and Pearls